February 27, 2015

Cokotetra

"Hmm.. The Perks of Being A Wallflower."

No, I'm not gonna talk about that movie of Stephen Chbosky's bestselling book. It's just, this is my first time here. In this little coffee shop not far from where I stay in Bandung. This place is pretty famous for the people around here. Most of them are college students, like me. I've been in Bandung for one and a half year and yes, this is my first time here. This place was renovated for like, 6 months ago. So I thought to myself why not give it a go and fulfill my curious mind.

Okay, so the only spot that was available when I stepped into this place was that booth in the corner of the shop. There was a girl who sit there and I asked the barista if he could ask her to share the booth with me. She agreed, so I joined her. Then I went to order a drink and some snacks. I looked at the menu book for God-knows-how-long. Yeah, I have a hard time deciding something for the first time. There were these two baristas. One guy and one girl. The guy barista knew that I was confused so he asked me what I would like to have, a chocolate or a coffee. I answered chocolate. He then explained to me about the menu and answered all my questions with a friendly smile and voice. Ten minutes later I decided to order Iced Milk Chocolate Peppermint with some french fries and nuggets. 

I walked to the book corner and borrowed this book called "Kukila", went back to my booth, and read the book. I chose this book because actually I have my own copy of the same book but I haven't finished reading it. This is a book of a few short stories that is beautifully written in Indonesian literature. I fall in love with how Aan Mansyur plays with the words. However, I'm not gonna talk about this Kukila book.

I am gonna talk about myself being a wallflower, and how it actually gives me some kind of this heartwarming feeling about life. Sitting in the corner of the coffee shop alone did give me a lot to think about. Oh, did I mention you that I find it tempting to go to new places by myself? You know, that tranquility you get just by sitting there alone, observing people who came in to and out of the shop. You can even listen to their conversations (on my defence, the place is not too big and small enough for me to hear such things :p)

This guy barista, besides the fact that he is really good with his job, he's really good with the customers. I could tell by how most of the people here call him by his name Ryan, how they lit the smiles upon their face every time they talk to him, and how he has the ability of awareness towards his customers especially his regulars. I'm going to give you an example for the last point I just told you about.

Rian: "Mas, Teh (sebut saja Anggi) kemana? Kok udah ga pernah keliatan bareng lagi?"
Customer: "Ah, iya..."
Rian: "Masih atau udah engga, nih?"
Customer: "Masih, masih temenan... Hahaha"
Rian: "Yah kenapa, Mas? Temen tapi demen, yaa? Hahaha.."
Customer: "Ih kepooo.."
(and so the short conversation went on...)

I don't exactly know why but that was a bit funny.

It is also funny that I just realized I have really missed this part of my life. Going places, making deep thoughts, and just letting life happen.

***

Well, it's already 10:46 PM and the shop is about to close so I'd better get going. I went to the cashier, paid for my bills. Rian offered me a loyalty card and introduced himself, "Kenalin dulu, Rian." "I noticed," dalam hati. "Afia..."

No comments:

Post a Comment